Tuesday 21 December 2010

My journey to Winter-Home

The Yule Festival has brought us a new location, Winter-Home. As the name indicates, it is covered in snow. I am not sure, where it lies, lore-wise, but from Michel Delving the horse goes west, up the hill.

Winter-Home is a small town and there is a rather small patch of land around it. I didn’t find any special place or hidden deed whilst exploring the surrounding area. The monsters are level 10ish.

There are living trees, which count as trolls, so if you need to do some slayer deeds, this might be the best place to do so.

There were (and still are) lots of complaints about the quests. So let's look at them, one by one.

Frostbuff Theatre has a daily quest (attend a show) which is fun to do. The theatre is also the best addition to LotRO and the theatre-housing-item is beautiful. There are no further quests, but a lot of titles, some deeds, and even 30 codies- or turbine-points to be earned per character. Not bad for less than two hours work.

You also get a Frostbuff Rotten Fruit and Frostbuff Flower Petals you can use ingame and I just need those (at least the Rotten Fruit) on all of my raiding characters ;)

Outside of the town, there is a field with Snowmen where you can fight snowball-battles. This is an easy and fast way to get Frostbuff coins. I even think, there is no limit to do these quests. So with a friend, you can get almost any amount of coins per day. These quest also seem to count on the quest-counter for the yule-festival.

The earned coins, you can either exchange for Yule-Tokens or give to beggars in a quest. The quest is on a daily counter and there is a hidden deed connected with it (I think you need to repeat the quest ten times to get some coins back and earn the title "the Openhanded".

The other quests are, hm, dubious. With the starving people in the town, I just couldn't bring myself to do the eat-as-much-as-you-can-quest. Nor did I want to rob the rich. Nor did I want to clean the vomit from the tables. Bringing a cask of ale to the drunk is a bit a grey area.

After a certain amount of quests, you get to choose either a nice set of clothes with a bad title or a set of worn out clothers and a good title. Right now, I am not sure, if it really checks if you did good or bad quests. I rather doubt it. So even if you did all the good quests (which are few) you still might be able to choos the nice set with the bad title "the miser". I will test this in the next days and report back.

I bought some snow men and the theatre for the kin-house. I also got some of the Yule-Wall-Decorations, but still need two of the Man-Yule-Wall-Decorations.

Still, I do think, that Winter-Home is a nice addition and I like having the choice not to do some quests, when it doesn't feel right.

No comments:

Post a Comment